The IBM i console is frozen and displaying COMM655MW
If the IBM i VM is still running and you can access the OS via TELNET or SSH, the following procedure may help restore access to the console:
- Close out any open SRA sessions to the VM
- Connect to the VM via SSH or TELNET
- Run WRKACTJOB to display active jobs, and look for jobs beginning with DSP, such as DSP01
- Run ENDJOB JOB(jobid) where jobid is the job identified in the previous step
- Open a new SRA session to the LPAR and attempt to log in
If this behavior is seen on a regular basis, the following system values may need to be checked:
QINACTITV - The Inactive Job Time-Out Interval (QINACTITV) system value specifies in minutes how long the system allows a job to be inactive before taking action.
QINACTMSGQ - The Inactive Job Time-Out Message Queue (QINACTMSGQ) system value specifies what action the system takes when the inactive job time-out interval for a job has been reached.
Run the following commands to check these values
If this does not recover your IBM i console, please contact Skytap Support.
- IBMi error codes: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/power5?topic=codes-virtual-terminal-errors-comm-error
- Inactive Job Time-Out Interval: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=values-inactive-job-time-out-interval-qinactitv
- The Inactive Job Time-Out Message Queue: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.3?topic=values-inactive-job-time-out-message-queue-qinactmsgq