After setting a webhook address and certificate in my account settings, no webhook data is being received.
Items to check/confirm
- Is the webhook address pointing to the right destination? Ensure webhooks are not being sent to the wrong destination. Check that you have registered the correct webhook URL
- Is the destination server running correctly and listening on port 443?
- Is your destination server publicly available? A public webhook URL endpoint is required to receive webhook data.
- Ensure and confirm your API is running.
- If the webhook request encounters an error when hitting your endpoint, it could fail silently making it seem as if the webhook did not arrive.
- If you have the ability to do request tracing on your endpoint, try to inspect the request object
- Confirm you are not blocking access via firewall rules
Test receiving webhook data using a free service
To check and confirm that your Sytap account is sending webhook data, you can choose to test receiving webhook data with several free services that are available on the Internet.
The following example uses the free service at beeceptor.com
Enter an endpoint name. For example if you entered "webhooktest123", the webhook address would be:
You can then retrieve a certificate by running:
# openssl s_client -showcerts -connect webhooktest123.free.beeceptor.com:443 </dev/null 2>/dev/null|openssl x509 -outform PEM
After entering the webhook endpoint, you can then view the webhook data in a shell/terminal or in browser.
Note that Skytap does not necessarily recommend any specific free service and that typically these endpoints are publicly viewable.
- Configuring the Skytap webhook service for audit data: https://help.skytap.com/webhook-audit-data.html#configuring-the-skytap-webhook-service-for-audit-data
- Configuring the webhook service for usage data: https://help.skytap.com/webhook-usage-data.html#configuring-the-webhook-service-for-usage-data
- Free service at beeceptor.com: https://beeceptor.com/
- Webhooks Testing tools: https://hevodata.com/learn/webhooks-testing/
Article is closed for comments.